Design Principles | Task 3 (Design)

04 March 2024 - 24 March 2024 / (Week 5 - Week 7)
Hanson Pea Wei Hao / 0359463 / Section 04
Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 3: Design


1. Module Booklet for the Module:


2. Recap of Task 3 brief
 In this task, we need to produce a design, inspired by the one that analyzes, or my reaction to it. Before starting the design, we must draw sketches and show them to the lecturer for approval.

3. Moodboard

                                                   
Fig 1.1, Moodboard for sketch

4. Sketches

For the First Sketch, I am planning to create Using the common colors of males and Females which are Blue and Pink for based color. As usual, Males will use blue and Females will use pink, But in this design, I wanna do it in reverse. Male in Pink and Female in blue, which want to express regardless of gender, everyone can do what they want to do.

Fig 1.2, Sketch 1

The second sketch is very based on my Art selection for task 1 which is a mystery person who holds a scale to balance gender equality. So in my design, I make the mystery person to ancient god who can hold the scale and balance the gender equality.

Fig 1.3, Sketch 2

For Sketch 3. I am designed like a priestess from old Egypt who can also judge like Anubis. The design for the sun behind and the usage of golden colour symbolizes a powerful person with high status. 



Fig 1.4, Sketch 3
Digitalize For Sketch 3

After getting feedback from Mr Zion, I decided to start my digitalize with Sketch 3 in Adobe Illustrator. 

Fig 1.5, Progress

In half of this stuff, I thought that using the Sun as a priestess was a bit weird, So I did some research again, and I find other than the sun we can Mon for women, So, I took some ideas from tarot which the card The Highest Priestess. Adding a moon behind and Some pillars at both sides to make it not look so empty.

Fig 1.6, Progress

Fig 1.7, Progress

Fig 1.8, First Final Design

After getting another feedback, I feel like still can improve some of the parts of these designs. So I added some shadows to highlight the main subject and changed the hair color of the main character to make this art more attractive a bit.

Fig 1.9, Progress

Fig 1.10, Second Final Design

5. Final Design

Fig 1.11, The Priestess Who Holds the Rules

6. Rational

    The design concept is based on the UNSDG goal I chose which is Gender Equality and The chosen artwork from the last task. The Priestess Who Holds the Rules. The lady in this art is stated as the highest priest, the person who holds the rules. The arm will still come out on the left as it passes through the right side. Imagine this picture is the world. This implies that she has the power to control the world's rules. The choice of a Crescent moon means before the full moon, the crescent comes first. It states like time, to make gender equality needs time to make people accept. The Scale shown in the artwork states the balance of Gender equality.

    The Design Principles involved are Emphasis, The use of only shiny colors for the scale is to emphasize the importance of scale which is also the main topic of the balance of gender equality. Balance is used for the equal scale and the background color is. Symbol, which is used as the male and female symbol. For Unity and Harmony, The element combination makes the resulting look balanced and harmonious.


Feedbacks

Week 6: the male and female that look very normal. If I want to make some design, better go on the third sketch, it looks more interesting. So can go on the third sketch

Week 7: The color is a bit too bland, maybe can try to change the color of the hair or make a few layers. Can't really find the main object,  can try to add some shadow on it to focus the stuff.
 
Reflections

For this final is quite a struggle for me to design and keep the design principles in mind. In the old times, I liked to design whatever popped up in my mind, After the final I felt like the design Principles I learn is really useful and could help my artwork become cleaner and nicer. In the process of creating the final artwork, Ideas cannot keep up with changes, This made it difficult for me to decide on the final plan. But in the end all good and get to create artwork that makes me satisfied.
 
Further Readings

Fig 2.1, Your Brain On Art

The arts, in its countless forms, transform our minds and bodies. The brain's response is wild. When arts enliven our senses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography/ Task 1:Exercise

Digital photography & Imaging / Task 1

Typography: Task 3: Type Design and Communication