Illustration and Visual Narrative | Task 2: Editorial Illustration [Decisive Moment]

 30 /10/2023 - 19/11/2023 / Week 6 - Week 8
Hanson Pea Wei Hao / 0359463/ Section 04
Illustration and Visual Narrative/ Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 2: Editorial Illustration [Decisive Moment]


Lists

1. Lectures





Lectures

Week 7 & 8:

 



Instructions


Task 2: Editorial Illustration

In this task, we need to choose an Urban legend to research and create a design for it. For the urban legend we choose, it can be either a local or international urban legend. The urban legend I chose is an urban legend from Japan. It is a spirit or yōkai which is Yuki Onna(ゆき女, 雪女) also named Snow Woman.

Research, Sketch & Idea:

Fig1.1, Sketch of Yuki Onna (02/11/2023)


Yuki Onna:
  • In many stories, Yuki-onna appears to travelers trapped in snowstorms and uses her icy breath to leave them as frost-coated corpses. Other legends say she leads them astray so they simply die of exposure. Other times, she manifests holding a child. When a well-intentioned soul takes the "child" from her, they are frozen in place. Parents searching for lost children are particularly susceptible to this tactic. Other legends make Yuki-onna much more aggressive. In these stories, she often invades homes, blowing in the door with a gust of wind to kill residents in their sleep

Digitalized:
Fig1.2, Line art (03/11/2023)

Fig 1.3, Draft of art(03/11/2023)

Fig 1.4, Colouring and add texture(03/11/2023)

Fig 1.5, changing of hand texture(03/11/2023)

The Final Artwork:

Fig 1.6, Final art of Yuki (03/11/2023)

Animated Gif:

For animation, my plan is to make it like slowly blink until  The person realizes he death in frost and the woman approaching him is not a human. 

So, for this animation, I created another version of Yuki-Onna which is haven't a transform version, and I would like to call it yuki-Onna(black).

Fig 1.7 , Yuki-Onna (black) sketch (22/11/2023)

After that, I take back the original background as the background for Yuki-Onna(Black). Other than that, i changed the main character's hand back to normal skin color, because this is before the main character was kill yet, and this is what the final art looks like:

Fig 1.8, Yuki Onna(Black)(22/11/2023)


After I get everything I need, I start doing the animation.

Fig 1.9, Frame, and progress of animation (23/11/2023)

Final Art (Static)



Final Art (Animation)






Tutorial

Tutorial 4: Transparency (Gradient and Noise)

In this tutorial, we learn how to apply Gradient and texture to an object. The purpose of learning gradient is use for create our poster which we will do in task 2 having texture.

Fig 2.1, Exercise for adding gradient (8/11/2023)


Fig 2.2, Exercise 2 for adding gradient (8/11/2023)


Reflections

I found this task quite fun but a bit hard for me because this was my first time doing animation on a character I created by myself. I felt like I still improving more in this area but the time provided for this assignment is quite rush for me I think it just because I lack experience in doing animation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography/ Task 1:Exercise

Digital photography & Imaging / Task 1

Typography: Task 3: Type Design and Communication